Saturday, April 23, 2011

Bread Pudding

























Good evening!





I made and tasted my first bread pudding tonight and I liked it! I never wanted to make bread pudding because it sounded gross to me. It sounded soggy. And I hate soggy bread. That's why I hate stratas. I had some dried out hamburger buns & a couple slices of stale raisin bread staring at me; so I made bread pudding. I did halved the recipe because I didn't want to get stuck with a big pan of something I'd have to throw out. And I didn't make the sauce - I'm out of brown sugar. What a delightful surprise. I did add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon instead of the 1/4 teaspoon & I tossed in the last of my vanilla which was about 1/4 teaspoon. If you've never tried bread pudding, I encourage you to make this. I bet you'll like it!







The recipe is from www.allrecipes.com



Bread Pudding




3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 cups whole milk
10 slices hearty farmhouse-style bread,
toasted and cut into cubes
1 cup raisins

1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1 pinch salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Directions:
1.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
2.
In a mixing bowl, whisk 3 eggs, white sugar, 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 cup of butter, and 3 cups of whole milk together, and gently stir in the bread cubes and raisins. Lightly spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
3.
Bake in the preheated oven until browned and set in the middle, 50 to 55 minutes; cover the dish with foil after 30 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Let the pudding stand for 10 minutes before serving.
4.
For vanilla sauce, whisk 1/2 cup of light brown sugar, the flour, a pinch of cinnamon, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, 1 1/4 cups of whole milk,and salt together in a heavy saucepan until smooth. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and the sauce coats the back of a spoon, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract. Pour sauce over warm bread pudding, or serve on the side in a bowl.














No comments:

Post a Comment